Why you’ll ♥ Ruby on Rails
- Open source and contributed to by 4,500 developers
- Thousands of 3rd party plugins and integrations
- A mature platform, released in 2004
- Ability to built robust web applications quickly
About Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails, or simply “Rails”, is a popular web framework created by David Heinemeier Hansson while creating the original Basecamp in 2004. The platform is open source, meaning it’s not only free, but has over 4,500 people improving it every day. Rails powers websites like Airbnb, Kickstarter, Hulu and hundreds of thousands of others.
Rails allows us to quickly develop modern web applications and user generated websites like dashboards, business tools and online communities. Our Ruby on Rails developers have been using the platform since 2007.
Relevant dates and milestones
- Ruby on Rails 1.0 launched on December 13, 2005
- Ruby on Rails 2.0 launched on December 7, 2007
- Ruby on Rails 3.0 launched on August 29, 2010
- Ruby on Rails 4.0 launched on June 25, 2013
- Ruby on Rails 5.0 launched on December 21, 2016